Grand Council of Duetaria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coastal Protection Policy

4 posters

Go down

Coastal Protection Policy Empty Coastal Protection Policy

Post by Grand Nomad Lloyd Tue May 20, 2008 3:17 pm

As Grand Nomad Lloyd steps through his tent to the awaiting crowd of politicians and lords, he announces his plans to protect the coast of Catoagoa and all other Duetarian nation states.
“Coastal erosion has now become a wide spread problem, with houses, (and more importantly) military bases falling into the sea nearly every day. We have to do something to stop this, to prevent the sea from swallowing the land.
We must declare war on the oceans!
(As the listeners stare in silence, Grand Nomad Lloyd's assistant reminds him to stick to his prompt cards.)
Excuse me. We must build groynes to prevent long shore drifts from removing our lovely beaches as a defence for our cliffs. We should build sea wall barriers to dampen the force of waves- it will also make invasion by our enemies harder-and safeguard our cliffs.
We must build on this plan, since happy citizens make for a happy nation, and when those citizens are in the deep blue, the nation tends to be ‘unhappy’.

I hereby suggests that the following acts are instated.

a) A coatal protection fund for every nation is installed, totaling £1billion per annum. This will be used for the sole purpose of prtecteing the coast, placing groynes, building sea walls, and any other methods thought useful in the protection of our coasts.

b) A scheme of planned retreat and compensation for those in areas where coastal protection, for whatever reason, may have failed, would be introduced. Planned retreat will only be employed if the owners of the coastal property allow it take place, and the compensation will amount to the cost of all buildings and property lost. It can either be payed in the form of money, cash or otherwise, or by a direct suitable replacement of the lost property

c) The funding and money presented to these states shall under no circumstances be used for anyother reason than to protect the coast and the people living by it. It will not be tolerated if the funding is used for any underhand, or legitimate reasons, severe actions will be made if it is.

Yours
Grand Nomad Lloyd
Grand Nomad Lloyd
Grand Nomad Lloyd
Lord

Location : Wherever I am, it cannot be real. I am present, but were am I?

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:
Coastal Protection Policy Left_bar_bleue0/1000Coastal Protection Policy Empty_bar_bleue  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Coastal Protection Policy Empty Here here!

Post by Grand Duke Henry Tue May 20, 2008 7:33 pm

Dining at a luxuriant three-Michelin restaurant, La Mere de la Chats, Ravenburger-Morovian First Lord of the Treasury Dieter Hochkatzenburg glances up from a risotto alla pescatora to agree with Grand Nomad Lloyd.

"We fully support the Coastal Protection Policy as WA Delegate, and have already appointed our president of the board of control, Oldenstein, as Acting Minister for Coastal and Environmental Protection. Hmmm? Oh yes Natalie, I'd love to try the makimono..."

The journos leave as Hochkatzenburg samples his wife's starter.
Grand Duke Henry
Grand Duke Henry
Duke

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:
Coastal Protection Policy Left_bar_bleue0/1000Coastal Protection Policy Empty_bar_bleue  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Coastal Protection Policy Empty Karkelbania puts its foot down

Post by Prime Minister Walex Tue May 20, 2008 8:56 pm

What we want to know is how you intend to police the giving out of money? How are you going to keep an eye on the coast and just where are you going to raise this kind of money, some of us have other things to think about apart from the coast line. Is not your choice of defense arcane? A wall to stop the sea from reaching the coast? I think we need to concentrate more on why the coast line is receding and if there is something else we need to change to stop it than just giving up and creating insane walls! I propose the core of this act be reformed into a new act on the emergency procedures involved in what to do with people who's homes are currently under threat or have already been lost rather than a fool hardy last ditch attempt to save the region.
Prime Minister Walex
Prime Minister Walex
Admin

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:

https://duetaria.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Coastal Protection Policy Empty Fiscal Phraseology

Post by Grand Duke Henry Tue May 20, 2008 9:14 pm

The President of the Board of Trade in Ravenburg-Morovia, Count Otto Corsinus von Prittwitz-Berchtold, rises.

"I am getting rather tired of King Wake's incessant fiscal phraseology in every proposed act. In this case, where would we get the money from...? Well, have you ever heard of something called the Duetarian Bank established to give welfare aide to nations? This would be a ripe opportunity to test its mettle!"

Catoagoans, Ravenburger-Morovians and Darmsburgers cheer madly.
Grand Duke Henry
Grand Duke Henry
Duke

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:

Back to top Go down

Coastal Protection Policy Empty Re: Coastal Protection Policy

Post by Prime Minister Walex Tue May 20, 2008 9:26 pm

I applaud your sound reasoning in saying that the bank could provide for it, but you overlook sir my other statements and that the bank in its current state could not provide £1 Billion a year. This could perhaps be introduced as a temporary tax to provide for it but I don't think that will go down well with our already over taxed citizens.
Prime Minister Walex
Prime Minister Walex
Admin

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:

Back to top Go down

Coastal Protection Policy Empty Welafre means Welfare, Wake

Post by Grand Duke Henry Tue May 20, 2008 9:30 pm

"Welfare means welfare, Wake," points out Prittwitz-Berchtold sharply, "and some burden must fall on taxpayers until the Bank can stand alone."
Grand Duke Henry
Grand Duke Henry
Duke

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:

Back to top Go down

Post by Prime Minister Walex Tue May 20, 2008 9:31 pm

Allow us to ignore the matter of money and move on to my other arguments and questions
Prime Minister Walex
Prime Minister Walex
Admin

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:

Back to top Go down

Post by Consul Clarkeos Tue May 20, 2008 11:54 pm

How about a deal whereby the protection of the coast is expanded by the military? As well as stopping erosianl we can have radar stations and defences incase of another attcak. Plus in 60 years time they'll be great holdiay destinations. Of course this will require monetary spending, but due to the current attcks, people will like spending on defence, and we can sneak in a few coastel erosian defences as well.
Consul Clarkeos
Consul Clarkeos
Aide

Location : Arguing Loudly in the Senate House. WARNING DEMOCRACY AT WORK

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:

Back to top Go down

Post by Prime Minister Walex Wed May 21, 2008 12:03 am

A wonderful idea, our huge military budgets will be easily able to cover it
Prime Minister Walex
Prime Minister Walex
Admin

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:

Back to top Go down

Coastal Protection Policy Empty Budget Combination

Post by Grand Duke Henry Wed May 21, 2008 12:49 am

We concur EXCEPT: why not place the Military Coastal Budget under direct control of the Duetarian Bank?
Grand Duke Henry
Grand Duke Henry
Duke

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:

Back to top Go down

Post by Prime Minister Walex Wed May 21, 2008 9:17 am

We agree but let us move away from the money aspect and discus my other complaints
Prime Minister Walex
Prime Minister Walex
Admin

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:

Back to top Go down

Coastal Protection Policy Empty EXCUSE ME

Post by Grand Nomad Lloyd Wed May 21, 2008 10:50 am

You all seem to have neglected the main point of my coastal proctection act. To stop coastal erosion. The budget could be gained from cuts in areas where money is not needed so much, such as the floundering space weapons research centre, or we could introduce a small cut in taxes, and then introduce a small tax for the coastal protection fund. As to using the sea walls as defensive and radar stations, is uetaria under threat from invasion, even if it is it will cost money, money that will not be given by the coastal protection policy. As to King Wake 1's suggestion that research into why the coasts are eroding, and then combating the cause, rather than the effect has caused me, to thing that if we research it will enable us to cut our costs for the fund, since we will have specialized information on how and where to protect the coasts, this has caused me to announce part

d) The coastal protection policy fund may also be used to research the causes of coastal erosion, such as why water levels are rising, what rock types need better protecting, and which methods of coastal protection are the cheapest and most effective.

Yours
Grand Nomad Lloyd
Grand Nomad Lloyd
Grand Nomad Lloyd
Lord

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:

Back to top Go down

Coastal Protection Policy Empty Funding

Post by Grand Nomad Lloyd Thu May 22, 2008 3:48 pm

Since the problem of funding has occured I hearby suggest a method
We have a local council allowance, rather than a nation wide fund, this would mean that each coastal local council within a nation would put aside around £1.4 million per annum for the pretection of coatland, this money would be gain by forming a new coatal protection tax. It would seem unfair to tax those who live inland, so it would be a local tax, for coastal regions. The public would probably not be happy with a new tax, so perhaps the beard tax of 1872, whereby if you have a beard you are taxed in accordance to its length, be abolished, after all it is a bit pointless.

Yours

Grand Nomad Lloyd
Grand Nomad Lloyd
Grand Nomad Lloyd
Lord

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:

Back to top Go down

Post by Prime Minister Walex Tue May 27, 2008 6:47 pm

I think that this act is full of holes. I do not see a 'giant wall' as having any great effect upon the matter. Infact it would make it worse when your wall falls down. I call for a vote on this subject, if enough a prove then it shall be put into law.
Prime Minister Walex
Prime Minister Walex
Admin

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grand Nomad Lloyd Fri May 30, 2008 2:08 pm

You think that the act is full of holes, but the walls will not be. Sea Walls are a great defence from direct attack form the sea, the decrease the force of its impact and prevent the coast itself being knocked into the sea, admittedly they will fall down, but over many 100s of years since they shall be made of the toughest, most resistant alloys around. The walls also previde a barrier for the coastal houses them selves, since, due to global warming, the sea levels are rising, summer and winter floods are becoming more frequent, the sea walls will safe thousands on flood repairs and missing persons investigations, stopping people falling into the deep blue.

Grand Nomad Lloyd
Grand Nomad Lloyd
Grand Nomad Lloyd
Lord

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:

Back to top Go down

Coastal Protection Policy Empty Other Lessons learnt from JP Smith

Post by Grand Duke Henry Fri May 30, 2008 3:15 pm

Seated in Cafe Nerono, reading a novlised script of When Harry Met Sally..., Dieter Hochkatzenburg candidly gives his views on the Coastal Protection proposal to Grand Nomad Lloyd and President Richard Vogt.

"In theory, Lloyd, your scheme is brilliant, but I cannot help but recall some lessons learnt at secondary school from the great geographer J.P. Smith. Sea Walls are, after all, a terrible eyesore, and commonly cost up to £5000 per metre; this equates to roughly 4156 florians or 7500 golden bricks. Why not compromise with, say, more attractive decorated gabions, with revetments in the most endangered areas?"
Grand Duke Henry
Grand Duke Henry
Duke

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:

Back to top Go down

Coastal Protection Policy Empty Walls Walls Walls

Post by Grand Nomad Lloyd Fri May 30, 2008 4:54 pm

Some local Catoagoain opinions.

Ministry of Agriculture- we should have a policy of managed retreating, whereby towns, villages, roads and houses would be protected with such things as groynes and WALLS, but farmland and isolated houses would be thought of as... dispensible. There are at the moment surples of food in Duetaria, we don't need all of these excess farms

Top scientist from Catoagoa City University- low-lying farmland should be allowed to collapse and form sand, rubble and silt, since these are the main defenders of coast, it we be protecting the future generations of coasts.

Angry farmer- why does no one care about my farm?! It's at great risk, oo arh.

Therefore, my new opinion is that sea walls are a costly but very effective form of coastal protection. Therefore I popose that sea walls are only built in areas were all other forms of coastal protection, groynes, boulders, artificial beaches etc, have failed.

Grand Nomad Lloyd
Grand Nomad Lloyd
Grand Nomad Lloyd
Lord

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grand Nomad Lloyd Sat May 31, 2008 6:40 pm

Has everyone forgotten abou this policy... is it going to be passed or not!
Grand Nomad Lloyd
Grand Nomad Lloyd
Lord

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:

Back to top Go down

Post by Prime Minister Walex Sat May 31, 2008 6:52 pm

We shall now put it to vote. First could you provide the edited act for me to copy and paste into the vote thread.
Prime Minister Walex
Prime Minister Walex
Admin

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:

Back to top Go down

Coastal Protection Policy Empty COASTAL PROTECTION POLICY

Post by Grand Nomad Lloyd Sat May 31, 2008 11:14 pm

I hearby announce the final version of the CPP.

a)A coatal protection fund for every nation is installed, totaling £1billion per annum, this fund will then be split up to smaller local coastal governments to be used for the sole purpose of protecting the coast, placing groynes, building sea walls, and any other methods thought useful in the protection of our coasts. The money for this fund will be gained by a regoinal coastal protection tax, for those who live within 1 mile of any coastline. Sea walls shall therefore generally be used in extrme conditions, where all other forms of cp have failed, or in areas where the coastline is eroding at over 10 metres per year.

b) A scheme of planned retreat and compensation for those in areas where coastal protection, for whatever reason, may have failed, would be introduced. Planned retreat will only be employed if the owners of the coastal property allow it take place, and the compensation will amount to the cost of all buildings and property lost. It can either be payed in the form of money, cash or other monetary form, or by a direct suitable replacement of the lost property.

c) The funding and money presented to these states and local coastal councils shall under no circumstances be used for anyother reason than to protect the coast and the people living by it. It will not be tolerated if the funding is used for any underhand, or legitimate reasons, severe actions will be made if it is.

d) The coastal protection policy fund may also be used to research the causes of coastal erosion, such as why water levels are rising, what rock types need better protecting, and which methods of coastal protection are the cheapest and most effective.

Guideline for Protection to use.
Towns, villages, roads and houses would be generally protected by groynes and walls, but farmland and isolated houses would be aproached with managed retreat and compensation to their owners, this is not a part of the policy, just a suggestion.
Grand Nomad Lloyd
Grand Nomad Lloyd
Lord

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down